Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Royal Thai Treatment

The teachers who came to Taiwan this semester for the first time were lucky enough to have the experience of Kiri Manookin and Destiny Palmer to help us become acquainted with this wonderful country.  These lovely ladies spent their last few days here showing us around town, how the trains and buses work, how and where to shop, and so many other things besides those things related to teaching and living at Berhan. 
Sadly, Destiny left early in the beginning of our first week teaching.  Kiri was able to stay for a little bit longer.  (Hurray!)  But finally she, too, had to go.  To send her off, we went to a Thai restaurant in Taichung.  Let me just tell you - it was awesome.
And the food was amazing too!





Kendra, Sara, Jessica, and most of Heather...

Jessica and Heather again plus Veronica!

Jenny and Kiri

My delicious meal!
Can you see the red flower?
Yeah, that's an EXtremely hot pepper - DO NOT attempt to eat!

These were the outside tables... so cool!
Once I saw these, I really wanted to eat out there...
But alas! It was not to be...

And this is the amazing squatter toilet they had in their bathroom...
Pretty much the neatest thing I've ever seen in my life.
I might want one.

And this was the sink!
Totally want one of these.
That is a bamboo pipe coming from the ceiling where the water comes from.
And guess what.
It's got a motion sensor!
I know.
AH!-mazing.

Much like the sink, but this was just a fountain outside.
I say "just a fountain", but we all know that it is pretty much the coolest thing ever, too.

Another view of outside.
When I said this was a neat restaurant, I wasn't kidding.
Talk about an exotic, romantic atmosphere!

Kendra and I ordered a delicious dessert, but we forgot to take a before picture.
Let me just tell you that it was Huge and DElicious.
You can see on Kendra's face how happy it made us.

Notice the bowl is empty.
And that I am just as happy as Kendra is in the previous picture.

They brought us a plate of... guava, I think.
 With this sweet powder stuff.
I guess as a dessert.
It was good though!

 I honestly don't know how we would be surviving right now without these ladies, as well as Allison, Lein, and Jenny who also offered advice and tips about living here in Feng Yuan. Jenny was even kind enough to stay the whole semester with us to help us out! (:

I know most of them won't see this, but I want the rest of you to know how grateful I am to them for their help.
You guys are the greatest! Thank you!




No comments:

Post a Comment