Monday, August 15, 2011

What a Wonderful Weekend: FRIDAY


I did not have high hopes for this weekend.

Right as my last class was ending on Friday,
there was an incident involving two boys and some injured fingers
that really should not have been a big deal...
but it kind of was.
For me, anyway.
It left me rather downhearted, to say the least.

Ok, so really I was upset and I didn't want to talk to anyone or see anyone,
So I sought out refuge and solitude on our roof.
Normally this would have been unbearable,
And I was fulling expecting the heat to be sweltering and unbearable
in my jeans and tennis shoes.
But!
Miracle of miracles!
It was perfect.
Overcast...
A slight breeze...
Just enough sunlight coming through the clouds to set the city glowing...
Quite simply,
it was an afternoon so stunning that it could have been taken from a storybook.
Just walking up to the roof I was already feeling better!
How could I not?
To sit and write is therapy anyway
and in that atmosphere it was like cream soda for my soul.
Loving cream soda as I do,
I was feeling pretty good.
But then...
Well,
let me introduce you to my friend -
Giacomo







I'm sure it's not hard to guess that he completely made my day!
He flew to the ledge and wasn't scared a bit.
Even when I left to go get my camera
(because I {very stupidly} had failed to bring it with me)
He didn't mind at all, just stayed right where he was!
And when I whistled to get his attention,
he basically walked right up to me.
So close that I was sure he was going to keep going right up my leg!
Which would have been a tad bit frightening...
but so cool at the same time.

Here is a very poor glimpse of the what this superb afternoon looked like...
Of course, pictures can not come close to capturing what it felt like,
But perhaps these will give at least a taste-




The clouds were beautiful...
But can you see the face??


Later in the evening on Friday,
Several of the Teachers of Berhan went out for dinner
at this delicious little place we call
The Orange Chicken Restaurant.
It's a favorite.
Afterwards we walked around the night market awhile,
but most of the teachers left to go see a movie pretty soon after we ate.
Kendra and I weren't interested in seeing a movie, though.
So, we decided to go exploring.
Basically we just started riding...
We picked a street that was unfamiliar and followed it.

What we found was this:



The blue light on this bridge was the reason we decided to stop at this park in the first place.
First we tried to ride down this little "trail" that was parallel to a bridge.
A policman-looking person came up and told us in Chinese/sign language not to go down that way.
Lucky for us!
We figured out a bit later that going that way would have dumped us straight into the water!







The dog that started to follow us.

Love this tree.

Kendra decided she wanted to climb the trees...
She's brilliant.





We were pretty sure these were fountains,
and we really want to go back when they are turned on!

So excited to be exploring!

Such a neat little park!
I can't wait to go back in the daylight.
Especially to see those fantastic Trees.
I have plans involving pillows and books in those branches...







[Stay tuned for part 2 of the Wonderful Weekend - Saturday version]




No comments:

Post a Comment