Monday, August 29, 2011

Bridges are the Best

Last weekend
[So August 19th and 20th]
four Berhan Teachers
had the opportunity to go camping
with a wonderful lady from our ward and her three daughters.

I know I say this a lot,
but it was so much fun!

We went to a campsite called Chitou,
which is located to the south of where we live.
We actually kinda got lost on the way...
But, now worries, we eventually made it!

The first thing I noticed was that it was actually a bit chilly,
a sensation I have not felt here without the help of AC.
Immediately after that I realized how good it smelled.
The air was somewhat fresh!
Not like in the mountains at home...
but there was definite improvement from the smells of the city.
It was late enough that we didn't do more than set up camp,
find where the bathroom was,
eat a quick snack,
and fall onto our [very uncomfortable] beds.



Here is the bathroom.
We were REALLY roughin' it!



Tea eggs


Here is our little campsite!
That little yellow tent that can be seen through the trees is ours.



Here it is again:


I spent the morning making bracelets with Sister Chang's girls,
but when she came back from visiting with the people who had helped us the night before,
the four Teachers went on a hike!
Which we had to pay for.
Lame.
But it was cool, so I won't complain too much.

Of course,
one of the first things that we saw just happened to be the biggest spider yet!

 



The hotel for those too delicate to "really camp"



I think [and hope] these might be lamps.

Lovin these trash cans.

You may be wondering why this post is titled "Bridges are the Best"
rather than something about camping.
Well.
Allow me to enlighten you.
This little campground/hiking area
was chock full of little streams with bridges crossing them.
Now, having grown up in a place where most of the water comes from our sink,
this is a very strange phenomena for me.
To be honest,
I thought it was great.
And now I'm pretty sure that bridges are on my list of favorite things.
 
 
Here is Bridge #1






Bridge #2



I don't know why, but these two trees struck a chord with me.
Maybe it's the fact that they are growing up so close and so tall...
It reminds me of a pair of friends who stick with each other through years of trial and trouble.
My most favorite random detail about the two is that there are very few branches growing between the two.
I don't know if you can tell from the picture,
but it made me feel even more like this pair of trees were old friends staring down at us silly little humans.

Bridge #3!
This one was super cool -
It's a giant bamboo bridge.
The pond underneath is called University Pond.
I guess it's a pretty popular spot.
Just look at all the people!
Notice, there are even some painting the scene.

Bridge #4:
Jenny
Jessica
Kendra
And here am I on the big bamboo bridge!
[Bridge Number 3, if you've been keeping track properly]
Bridge #5

I love these flowers.
Calla Lilies
They might be my favorite, if I were inclined to pick a favorite flower.
It was to see them growing naturally,
and it made me love Taiwan just that much more!

The Sky Walk
We didn't actually get to walk on it
because we didn't have much time and the line was ridiculously long,
but it was neat to look at, anyway.


This family was just simply adorable and I had to take a picture.
That is a father pulling his children up a small hill
while they hold on to umbrellas.
I can't really explain how sweet it was to see.

The Giant Tree
That little figure dressed in grey with it's arms thrown out wide?
That's me.
If that gives you any idea of the size of this plant.



I really really REALLY wanted to play in this water.
But
-of course-
we had to be back
and so could not.
Such a tragedy.

It is a bit hard to tell,
but that there is Jenny and Kendra taking pictures of the opposite sides of the stream.
Just a moment before,
their positions were switched.
It was hilarious to watch them go from one side to the other,
and in the exact same positions each time.


A Tree Grows in
the Path.





Bridge #6

Bamboo!


Bridge #7

This is also #7


Because we were a little late in getting back
[basically we had told Sister Chang an hour and it had been almost two]
Kendra suggested that we run down this path.
So we did.
And we got some very confused/amused looks from the people we passed.
But!
It was fun.
And!
It made up for a smidgin of time.
So!
Totally worth it.



And here we are,
back at Bridge #1.
Soon after this we had to leave,
but I'd say this camping trip was a success.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment